Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A question not exactly from school but found this interesting....

So today I was asked to explain why I chose to go to school to be a personal trainer and I thought I would share this with everyone. The way I was asked really got me thinking and I thought it needed to be answered so others who have known could understand where I am coming from and my passion. This person pointed out the fact that I have never been the athletic type or one who was into a lot of exercising, so that is probably out of the normal for most personal trainers. I have to say that it is not completely true when I was younger I did gymnastics, played softball, basketball, and even volleyball one year. No I never liked to run and never cared to lift weights. Once I got in my teenage years I quit them all I thought socializing was more important and all that took time away from my friends. I was never the skinny girl even when I did these activities. With that being explained now in the last year a lot in me has changed. Three years ago now I started having a lot of pain which lead to some health complications. In a two year period the doctors tried a lot of different medicines to help control the pain. I know at one point I was taking twelve pills a day and I hated it, I didn't want to live the rest of my life on pills. I had reached the heaviest weight I have ever been in March of 2011. I knew for my family something had to change, because I was missing out on so much. Starting on April 1st of 2011 I started down a journey that has brought me here. I started with as simple as a walk at the local park, and that first day I cried when I was done. I couldn't believe that I could only walk a half a mile. I know we all have to start somewhere, but that was a huge pill to swallow for me. I continued to walk twice a day everyday with the push of a few good friends and family members. In a few months I went from the girl who couldn't walk a half a mile to walking anywhere from 3 to 6 miles in one day. In July I did my first 5k in my fathers memory, not knowing we were going to go do a walk that was all up and down hills the whole way. We walked this walk in about an hours time. In September I ran my first 5k, and finished in 42 minutes. I decided then I wanted to help others who were where I was when I started. I am still working on losing weight and I am a long ways from my goal weight but I have done and I am proof with work and determination it can be done. I decided then I wanted to help others that are where I was, but I didn't know how. I soon figured it out with some sole searching and research. I knew to help others I needed the knowledge and education that I would get from going to school. I know that there are many people out there like me that either can not afford a gym membership or can not bring themselves to workout in gym and I want to be able to help those people. I also know there are many people with limitations who do to various reasons they can not go to a gym and I want to be to offer them an opportunity to have help. This is why I chose to go back to school as a personal trainer.

I also would like to thank my husband, my children , my mother, my best friends Melissa, Heather, Chrissy, Kim and the others who have supported me for all there support and help through my weight loss journey and their support through school.

2 comments:

  1. Jen you have the determination to make this happen. Good for you..Good for you that you realized you needed to do this, and good for you that you are accomplising it. The road to all this weight loss and getting healthy is a long one, you will get discouraged...but keep going on with it because the rewards are there for you. You have always been a special friend to me, and I am so proud of you...Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww Thank you Mama J. and thank you for always being there for me and for your support.

    ReplyDelete